Monday, February 10, 2014

Fat Fast: Get Your Body Into Ketosis!

Hello all! I actually have about a week's worth of work that I need to complete in a short matter of time, but since I love all 1 of my followers (Basically 0 since it's only my friend that follows me) I figured I'd make this post now, before I forget.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT TRY DOING THIS FAST IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY ON THE ATKINS DIET OR IF YOU DO NOT PLAN ON TRANSITIONING INTO A LOW CARB DIET FIRST. JUMPING FROM A HIGH CARB DIET TO A FAT FAST CAN CAUSE YOUR BODY HARM
As I previously posted, my diet plan for this time being is the Atkins. Within the first few days my body immediately went into ketosis (fat burning mode for those of you not up on the low carb lingo) and my keto strips were dark purple. I mean the darkest it could go. But a week and a half later and a couple pounds lighter, my body would just not get into ketosis. I originally thought it was because I only had a few more pounds left to lose that my body wasn't able to get into it as fast as before. However, after all this research I've done I believe it's because I wasn't getting enough carbs, and the carbs I were getting weren't really coming from vegetables. Anyway, back to the point, I was really in a slump about my keto strips (they were completely pale) so I went to my best friend, Google.



Through Google I was able to find about this thing called a Fat Fast. Now, I'm not going to make this post any longer by giving you a thorough explanation about this concept, but if you want me to go into further detail just leave a comment and I will happily make another post. All it basically is, is a 4 to 5 day fast where you consume 1000 calories, with 90% of those calories coming from fat (The longest recorded time it's been done is 10 days but don't go over that, please. 1000 calories is not enough to keep the body going for long and you will begin to lose muscle mass). You break this into four 250 calorie or five 200 calorie "mini meals", with each of them containing 90% fat. And get this, not only do you lose weight, but majority of the weight you lose is pure body fat! Sounds crazy right? Well trust me IT WORKS!

Now of course it's almost impossible for an everyday working woman (or man! this blog does not discriminate) to calculate meals that are EXACTLY 200 or 250 calories with EXACTLY 90% fat, and you don't have to! As long as you stay under 1200 calories and above 85% fat, you should be just fine. And even then you don't have to calculate any meals at all! There are plenty of people who gladly share the meals they came up with online and there's even a woman who wrote a book completely about this Fat Fast that contains 50 recipe ideas in it, which can be found here. I purchased this book myself and it was very helpful in explaining the whole concept behind this "fast." I normally don't read the introduction/explanation pages, but, for some reason, with this book I did... Well part of it.

First off, let me say I am by no means being paid to advertise this book. Let's be honest, who would want to pay me? I have no social influence. However, if you are serious about this fast and plan on doing it whenever your body is at a stand still, I recommend you getting it. It has some really helpful information in it. But if you try to get this solely for the recipes, BE WARNED: many of them include really... interesting ingredients that most people don't have lying around in their home (i.e. several different flavors of stevia, tofu shirataki noodles, liquid coconut oil, etc). Many of the recipes I couldn't use and the other half I didn't like. I only used maybe 15 of the recipes from the book, if that many. Some of you may have no problem buying those products though, so if that's the case then by all means go for it. However, even if you don't buy them, the pdf version of the book is only $5.99, so it really won't make a dent in your pockets.

Now, on to my experience. I only did it for 5 days, mainly because I need to jump back on to the regular Atkins for one day and then transition into a low fat, moderate carb, high protein diet (to prepare myself for the unhealthy beast I will be on Valentine's day). In those 5 days, I only lost 3 pounds, but my waist looks so much more smaller. I mean it's almost like a miracle. And heck, 3 pounds in 5 days is a hell of an accomplishment if you ask me. And my body is back into ketosis! It's not the darkest purple like before, but it's only like a half a shade off. I also found my appetite getting smaller and smaller each day. I wasn't even able to finish all my meals on the last day, and they're not even real meals (this probably isn't a good thing though so try not to do this). If you plan on doing this fast, I suggest you maybe make up your meal plan for every day ahead of time. That way you won't spend every night/morning figuring out what to eat to get your necessary calories, like I did.

Okay, I think I've made this as thorough as possible without making it too long... *cough* I'll post pics of some of my favorite recipes below with the ingredients included. If the recipe comes from her book I won't post the exact measurements, out of respect for her work, but I will post the amount of calories and the amount of calories from fat. Which means that someone that reads it may or may not be able to calculate how much of what is needed.. Catch my drift? Anywho, I should get started on my work.. Blog to you guys later!

Jalapeno Poppers
I absolutely loved these. And they aren't spicy at all, just be sure to take all the seeds out. 

Ingredients:
jalapeno peppers
cream cheese
bacon

Nutritional Info:
230 Calories
21g of Fat
(82.3% calories from fat)


Peanut Butter Cream Cheese
 This recipe is on her website so it's free for all to use. I found myself looking at pictures of all these delicious looking desserts filled with sugar and carbs, so I whipped this up and... I was in heaven. But then again, I love cream cheese so much I can eat it by itself.

Ingredients:
1 ounce cream cheese
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon heavy cream
10 drops liquid sucralose — or sugar-free sweetener of choice to taste
⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Nutritional Info:
243 Calories
23g of Fat
(83.2% calories from fat)


Tuna Salad
 This one is also on her website. I know what you're thinking, what's so special about tuna salad? Well my dear friend, this one is made with triple the amount of mayonnaise, making it triply delicious.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons canned tuna in oil — or minced chicken or canned chicken
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon celery — minced

Nutritional Info:
234 Calories
25g of Fat
 (90.4% calories from fat)

Okay, so by the time I thought "Hey, let me make a blog about the fat fast!" I was already at my last days. So I actually took a lot less photos then I thought. But here are two more photoless recipes that were just too good for me to not mention. 

Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs
These are just... Well the name speaks for itself
 
Ingredients:
eggs
ripe avocado
mayonnaise
cheddar cheese
bacon
salt and pepper

Nutritional Info:
168 Calories (per 2 halves)
16g of Fat
(80.8% calories from fat)

Salmon Bisque
This is perfect for a day when you're extra hungry and want to feel like you're having a full meal. It's very filling
 
Ingredients:
heavy cream
seafood stock
canned salmon
minced fresh dill weed
salt and pepper

Nutritional Info:
245 Calories
24g of Fat
(86.1% calories from fat)


3 comments:

  1. i would love a post about the fat fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post and the great recipes! I'm starting a fast fast tomorrow and I needed some new ideas. I've done a fast fast a couple of times before, always with great results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post and the great recipes! I'm starting a fast fast tomorrow and I needed some new ideas. I've done a fast fast a couple of times before, always with great results.

    ReplyDelete